agreeable ways to get the book...
1. If you're an educator, snag a review copy here.
2. Go to your nearest bookstore or a Barnes & Noble and ask politely for "Thank You for Arguing by Jay Heinrichs." If the book is sold out, throw a temper tantrum while a friend records it on her phone. Post it online.
3. Buy it on Amazon.
4. Buy it on Barnes & Noble's website.
5. Buy it on Indiebound.
6. Buy it on iBooks.
7. Follow Jay on Twitter, find out when he's speaking near you, and try to talk him into a free signed copy.
8. Don't buy it at all and lead a lonely, unpersuasive life.
A master class in the art of persuasion, as taught by professors ranging from Bart Simpson to Winston Churchill, newly revised and updated.
The time-tested secrets taught in this book include Cicero's three-step strategy for moving an audience to action, and Honest Abe's Shameless Trick for lowering an audience's expectations. And it's also replete with contemporary techniques such as politicians' use of code language to appeal to specific groups and an eye-opening assortment of persuasive tricks, including the Eddie Haskell Ploy, the Belushi Paradigm, Stalin's Timing Secret, and the Yoda Technique.
Whether you're an inveterate lover of language books or just want to win a lot more anger-free arguments on the page, at the podium, or over a beer, Thank You for Arguing is for you. Warm, witty, erudite, and truly enlightening, it not only teaches you how to recognize a paralipsis when you hear it, but also how to wield the weapons of persuasion the next time you really, really, want to get your own way.